Monday, November 2, 2009

God's Amazing Grace

As I've gotten older, I marvel more and more at the grace of God in my life. This blog is all about God's grace. It's mostly about what He has done and is doing in my life, and what He has taught and is teaching me. But I'll start by marveling at God's grace reaching out to my mom when I was probably 4 or 5 years old. She was about 32 years old and was involved in the Catholic Church at the time. And by her own admition, she had no understanding of the gospel of Christ when God showed up and removed the blindness from her eyes so that she could see, for the first time, the truth and beauty of the gospel. The truth that she was a sinner, and that all the good deeds she did in the church, or anywhere else for that matter, could do nothing to save her because God is righteous, holy and just, and therefore must punish sinners. And that He requires that we also be holy and righteous in order to come near Him and spend eternity with Him in heaven. And she learned that Jesus came into the world to save sinners, like her, and that He lived the perfect, obedient life that she couldn't, and that He willingly layed down His life at the cross, shed His blood, and took the punishment for sin that she deserved. And that upon faith in Jesus Christ, she could be forgiven of all her sin and receive His righteousness, ("God made him who knew no sin to be sin for us, so that in him, we might become the righteounses of God." -2 Corinthians 5:21) and enjoy fellowship with Him for all eternity. And during this time, she put her trust in Jesus and began to grow in her love for Him as she began to read and study the Bible for the first time.

I marvel at God's grace in my mom's life, because His grace was poured out on me through His grace to her. And the seeds that she sowed in my life, He sovereignly used to bring me to Himself. I will write more later on how He has worked in my life, and what I have learned and am learning, but I wanted to give this background and praise God for His grace toward my mom.